<VV> Sacrilidge? the viewpoint of a young vair enthusiast

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Sat Aug 19 11:23:18 EDT 2006

     I might get myself shot for saying this here... but I for one am glad that the vair was killed off.  I'm thrilled that Nader wrote Unsafe at any speed and made our favorite car infamous, and I'm glad that production did not continue into a third generation.

     All these things contribute to what makes the Corvair so special today.  If air cooled, rear engine american cars were common then the vair would be much less special.  If nader hadn't written that blasphemous book (Yes, I have a copy) far fewer people would know what a Corvair is, and I wouldn't get to have fun conversations with people who approach me with the "you have some real courage to drive one of those" attitude.  I love taking such opportunities to defend the Vair.

     If the Corvair had continued into a third generation it may have been much less special then ours, and then I would have to specify that I had one of the "really cool air cooled rear engine" vairs, instead of just being able to proudly state that I own a Corvair... and that being nuff' said.  The Matrix was a much cooler movie to be a fan of before the lousy sequels were released.........

     Be happy for what we have, and all the outside influences (both positive and negative) that brought the Corvair to where it is today!

Ray Rodriguez
CORSA member
65 Corsa coupe 140/4spd