<VV> 64/5 transmission mainshaft/input

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 11:59:16 EDT 2006

It sounds like you purchased a 61-3 transmission.  The '64-5 and '66-9
14-spline input shafts (about .680 diameter) will not fit through the smaller
mainshaft bore of a 61-3 transmission.  The 61-3 transmission mainshaft is bored
just large enough to accomodate the 12-spline .620 diameter input shaft.
(verified by checking a few minutes ago)
Craig Nicol

<snip>
I just bought what was supposed to be a 64/65 4 speed transmsission, but my
14spline 66-69 input shaft (I know it's longer than a 64/65) won't even fit
into the mainshaft.  The inside diameter of the mainshaft is .675 and the splines
on the input are .712.  Even the diameter of the shaft is larger than .675.
Is there a difference in the diameter of the 61-63 transmission input compared
to the 64/65, as well as the difference in number of splines, 12 or 14?  Do I
actually have an earlier 4 spd rather than a 64/65?  Or am I mistaken in my
thought that a 64/65 14 spline  input shaft should be the same diameter as a
66-69 14 spline shaft.  I'm trying to use the 66-69 input with the 64/65
transmission in a Kelmark mid-engine conversion.
Bruce Tester <unsnip>