<VV> RE: Wise Gal - A Corvette is America's Sprts Car - Corvair :"America's

Mark Noakes mark at noakes.com
Sun Aug 20 08:04:52 EDT 2006

This thread sounds like a collection of people who have never driven a Corvette, especially a later model (no contest on the 84 Z51 though).  They are a blast to race (legal...SCCA Solo2) and my piddly 86 (C4s are nothing compared to the new C6s, especially Z06s) convert as modified gets 27.5mpg with the cruise set on 70mph on the interstate...city/highway the way I drive it is about 23mpg.  My Corvette, Corvair, and Lotus all get along just fine in the garage together...never any arguments between them as to which is best or most fun!  If I had to get rid of anything, the Lotus (project car) would go first.  I would be hard pressed to decide between the Vette and the Vair.

Image?  I'm a guy that takes as much pleasure driving around in my beat up 58 Chevy Suburban (in restoration now) as I do the Corvair or Vette...and my "mule" is a seriously worn 86 Chevy pickup with 256Kmiles on it.  I'm in it for the driving experience.

Mark Noakes
58 GMC NAPCO 4wd pickup, in the queue for restoration
58 Chevy Carryall Suburban, in restoration now
61 Corvair Lakewood, once restored, used as a daily driver, now seriously worn
66 Corvair Monza, restored, first car owned since July 14, 1974
73 Lotus Europa JPS, long term project
86 Corvette Convertible, SCCA BSP#32 and daily driver
86 Chevy Silverado, daily driver and "mule"