<VV> 140 Cam timing

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 19:08:05 EDT 2006

Hi Dennis-

> Unless you used a retarded crank, that combination will be a slug off the
> line.  Since they sold 110 and 95 hp without retarding the crank gear, my
> guess is you will get better low end performance, with either of these
> heads.  To practice what I preach, I'll be installing a 140 with a 304 cam
> and the 4 deg retard crank gear in my 4 sp brier this winter.

Whoa, cowboy!

The 140 PG crank gear does not improve low end, it improved higher RPM
performance- the original plan with the RN 140/PG 3839889 engine was the 95
cam tamed it and gave it better low rpm power and the special crank gear was
to restore some of the mid to upper range performance lost by using the dud
95 HP short timing cam. The special crank gives longer legs to the weak and
buzzy 95 cam with the better breathing 140 heads.

3872304 is a pretty zoomy cam and with the RN engine crank gear would be
very weak (much worse than stock) at low rpm. A 140 Powerglide with this
arrangement would be very disappointing at low rpm. Use a straight up crank
with 3872304.

for those wondering which is which-in descending order of 'hotness'

3872304 is the 1965-'66 turbo cam
3839891 is the 110 HP (all passenger cars) cam and 140 MT, and early 1965
140 Powerglide
3839889 is the 95 HP, 110 FC, and late 1965-on 140 Powerglide cam

Only 140 Powerglide using the 3839889 cam had a special crank gear to alter
cam timing 4 degrees for improved 3000+ rpm power with the 3839889 (doggy,
but torquey) cam.

Hope thats some help,
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC