<VV> 140 Cam timing

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Aug 20 20:45:48 EDT 2006

Well I was totally agreeing with your answer until the 304 cam came
up.  At 0.050 lift the 891 has 218 degrees duration on both sides but
the 304 only has 213.degrees duration at the same lift both
sides.  Neither cam has any overlap at at 0.050 lift.  The problem
with the 891 cam is in the 3,700 rpm and above range the valve spring
harmonics and lift profile of the cam cause the lifter not to follow
the cam lobe, especially when the exhaust valve is closing.  While it
is not the dreaded valve float, it does effect the power output of
the engine. In the 3,700 rpm and above range the 304 shows its
superiority by better controlling the valve action even though it has
less duration at 0.050 lift.
Jim Davis