<VV> Corvette 1st Impressions compared

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Mon Aug 21 00:39:34 EDT 2006

THAT, I maintain, is why they make (and sell) Corvettes.

I once saw a Vette shaking windows at a stop light, next to an XKE.  The Jag
driver didn't even look like he noticed the Vette (how could he NOT notice
?!?)

When the light changed, the Vette was screaming tires and shaking windows a
block away, and the Jag, was, well, a block away, before the Vette started
moving.

Elegance in action. The Jag looked like it had been sucked down the road by
a giant vacuum cleaner, with no tire smoke.  Maybe that's why, but it was
beautiful, and it changed my impression of muscle cars forever.

The Corvair may not be an XKE, but it is elegant and beautiful, especially
LM converts !!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brown, David (San Jose)" <David.Brown at bsci.com>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:24 PM
Subject: RE: <VV> Corvette 1st Impressions (no Corvair)

I have only driven one- but what a ride it was!  I was 17 & helping my
older brother keep my parent's car dealership open for the weekend while
they were gone.  It was a 1967 (in 1970) 427 Butternut yellow
convertible with a low ratio Hurst 4 speed.  I was just going to
Jack-in-the Box to pick up some lunch & thought I would try it out.  The
1st 3 times I took off I was impressed, but thought, no big deal, I can
handle this 'beast'.  What a man!!  Little did I know I was taking off
in 3rd!  Well, you guessed it, as luck would have it, when I came out of
J&B I was in 1st.  I floored it like I did the 1st 3 times and
WHOA!!!!!!!!  OH MY GAWED if that thing didn't start screaming bloody
murder, with the wheels spinning like no tomorrow!  I saw everyone at
J&B stretching their necks to gawk & had the good sense to shift to 2nd
before blowing it up, but it only dropped about 300-500 RPM & left
another long stretch of rubber. I vaguely remember shifting to 3rd &
4th, but all I remember after that was trying to lock it up back at the
car lot.  My hands were still shaking so bad I could hardly find the key
hole in the door.  There was NO doubt in my mind that this car was more
than I was ready to handle for now!! (but I think I might be ready
again!)
Dave
Corvair Houston