<VV> Hot to trot Mustang? No Corvair

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Mon Aug 21 08:37:10 EDT 2006

Just out of high school, I had a 67 Mustang 2+2 with the 390ci.  My best
friend had the 68 GT with the HIPO 302.  He fried that engine coming across
the Sunshine Skyway in St. Petersburg FL.  The year was 1971.  A friend of
ours was the assistant manager for the Lincoln Mercury parts dept.  At the
time, Ford was unloading all the extra 302's they had built for the Boss,
and he was able to get us one.  We thought we were in horsepower heaven.

To make a long story short, we could never get that engine to behave in his
mustang.  We finally did get it to run well enough that he could drive the
car, but as Seth pointed out, it had no street manners at all.  It was built
pretty much for WOT.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY