<VV> Corvair Specific Trailers

Mike Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 21 09:28:09 EDT 2006

Jim,

I haven't done the math but I could measure my trailer (if I remember)
when I get home. I bought mine used about 20 years ago and have no
problem pulling it on forward. My trailer is all metal and takes 3
people to move by hand due to the long front and tongue. The main key is
the positioning of the car relative to the axles (I wouldn't use less
than 2). Several suggestions would be: Make sure the trailer sits high
enough on the suspension to clear the fender with the door with the
shortest tires on the car which you might ever use. Use ramps which are
as long as possible and well supported. If you are going to leave the
center open, make sure the care will still fit on the trailer with the
tires and wheels giving the narrowest track. If the center is open, make
a set of removable plates to fill in the center (you never know what
else you might want to haul on the trailer. Make provisions for
removable sides (see previous suggestion). Add plenty of tie down
provisions. consider stabilizer jacks permanently attached to the rear
so that loading and unloading can be done while unhitched.

Mike Kost
SMCC