<VV> Corvair Specific Trailers

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Mon Aug 21 17:04:57 EDT 2006

Mike makes many good points.  I would add that removable fenders are a great
idea for more door clearance and maintenance.

I can pretty much lift the tongue of my trailer myself when it's unloaded.
When I put the Vair on, as long as I put it all the way forward it tows
fine.  This picture is a little small, but it shows the car loaded on the
trailer and you can see where it sits relative to the axles.

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/shuffle/IMG_2807.JPG

Keep in mind that my ramps stow in the box behind the wheels.  If you made
the trailer shorter, you might be able to shift the car backwards because
there would be less weight behind the axles, but most of that length is part
of the angle of the deck, which means shorter ramps.  A side benefit is that
I can load my '63 Olds 98 on it no problem.

>From a math standpoint, the key is tongue weight. You want the tongue weight
to be 10% to 15% of the trailer weight.

Norm