<VV> Hot to trot Mustang? No Corvair

Jack Kean villahaven-products at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 19:14:29 EDT 2006

Funny.

 A good friend of mine purchased (OK. It was really his dad who purchased it) a slightly used 1969 Z28 in early 1972. We were in high school at the time. What a neat, well-balanced car, right out of the box (his had ~30K miles on it).

 It was getting a little tired (or that was the excuse we used), so we went to the local Chevy dealer, got a copy of the Chevy performance catalog, and started ordering. When we were done, he had assembled a reasonable copy of a factory trans-am motor. Even with a very radical cam, and high compression pistons, this motor still idled below 900 rpm. It did not have much low end, even with 3.73 gears (we lived in Houston at the time, so it did not matter). However, once it was rolling, it was quite a good ride, and still very drive able. We even added a factory cowl induction unit that was plumbed beneath the hood into the heater plenum. Little did we realize what kind of a noise that was going to make.

 Later that year, he purchased one of the first sets of angle plug heads in the area. You should have heard the remarks when we got this car inspected. We entered numerous high-speed autocrosses with this car (Texas World Speedway had a very nice road coarse at the time). Even on Firestone Wide Ovals (we must have been nuts!), it worked very well.

 What a shame. He sold it for $2500 a few years later.

 -jack kean