<VV> Re: [fastvair] Fan Tensioner

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 25 01:25:28 EDT 2006

I've run both the Clark's and Lon's new style tensioner.
I've had Lon's on the '66 140 sedan with a stock fan for about a year now
with no issues. The car is street-driven with occasional forays into the
5000-6000RPM territory. Never has thrown a belt.
The Clark's (OTTO) style I ran in Orange Julius ('65 Corsa race car) in So.
Cal. for about 8 years and in the PNW for 4 years. The fan was cut down and
the only fan belts I threw were the wide type. Believe it or not, the very
best fan belts were sold by K-Mart- and I still have 3 or 4 of then
somewhere. These withstood regular 7000-8000RPM jaunts on autocross courses
and at vintage racing events.
So, my experience has been excellent with both styles of tensioner.
Particularly with the OTTO style. it's all in the careful set-up of the
geometry when you install it. Lon's tensioner doesn't require such care-
slap it on and you're good to so.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone