<VV> thrown belt.

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Aug 25 16:40:08 EDT 2006

Below 6000 rpm, with appropriate tension, the appropriate belt that's
not near the end of it's life, an alternator under 65A, and properly
aligned pulleys in good shape, they hardly ever throw... but they are
more touchy than "normal" single-plane belts about age, wear, and tension.

The racers use spring-loaded idlers because we're more often over 6000
rpm (after about 6500rpm, the belt is a 50/50 proposition with a fixed
pulley). Besides allowing the belt to stay on better at high rpms, they
have the side effect of keeping appropriate tension on the system AND
allowing quick belt changes without tools. (if you were able to get your
belt on without tools with a fixed pulley, it was WAY too loose.)

My wife just completed a 10,000 mile trip with only one "hot" throw...
and that was on the accidental overrev when taking the powerglide from
Low to Drive but getting neutral instead... now she did have a lot of
"cold throws" (due to a problem with my specific pulley, not the design)
but EVEN THEN she decided that she'd rather have the task of putting a
belt back on in the parking lot without tools than risk having to do it
(likely in the dark) along the highway using tools... so we left the
faulty idler on even though she had a stock one ready to go.

All of my Corvairs have the spring loaded idlers...not because the stock
system is bad, but just because these are better.

Bill