<VV> Tire Iron ?

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Aug 27 13:06:14 EDT 2006

>Haven't seen the Harbor Freight machine.  Are you referring to a tire iron?

Well, to me a tire iron is 18-24" long aka a spoon. This is about four feet
long and each end is used for something different. The flat end is pretty
good for removing tires but the curvy end used to roll the beard over the
lip is terrible & keeps riding over the rim. Took about a half hour just to
remount the top bead (bottom went on without too much hassle) on one 225x60x16.

Have installed just with spoons before but have found (experience =
mistakes in past) that rolling the bead on with a curvy tool puts less
force on a wheel (and most of mine are cast aluminum) than a spoon.
Hopefully my days of using a station wagon and a bumper jack as a bead
breaker and irons flat on the driveway are over.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542 -
thingie is leaning against tire tread. (ps is now and often on sale for $39.99)

The unit itself (particularly after adding four foot extensions to the legs
for stability) works fine for my occasional needs but I need a lever
arm/tire iron that has a better design. Must just not be using the right
terms for Google because found nothing useful. Did find mention of using a
rim saver for changing motorcycle tires
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/16778526 - anyone know if this would
help ?

Padgett