Fwd: <VV> Jacking

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 18:13:40 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/27/2006 1:55:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net writes:

I have  always put a roll jack under the differential, but have been severely

chaistized that I'm ruining the motor/trans mounts. Can't see why. You'd  be
putting the mounts (all three) in compression. They already are in
compression with the car just sitting there. Can someone explain to me why
this is wrong?

Harry Yarnell

Harry,  One of the main reasons I have not jacked my cars using the  drive
train as the jacking point is that you are lifting something that is much
heavier (the car) than the drive train the three mounts are supposed to
support--in the opposite direction from which they are supposed to work.   On a fairly
new car or with new remanufactured mounts you may get away with it  for awhile,
but eventually the reverse shear will be detrimental.

P.S.  In an earlier post I recommended using the skid plate to support  the
engine when changing a rear mount or the harmonic balancer.  I anyone  took my
message to mean jacking the engine/car with the skid plate please  don't.  You
can support the engine by the skid plate when you want to take  off the rear
mount, but don't jack the rear with it--good engine mounts are  getting more
and more expensive.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier