<VV> Zoning issues from Sema

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Mon Aug 28 14:57:13 EDT 2006

SNIP
"We  believe  that clear legal distinctions must be drawn between an
owner  using  private  property  as  a  dumping  ground  and a vehicle
enthusiast  working  to  maintain,  restore or construct a vehicle," said
SEMA Vice President of Government Affairs Steve McDonald.
SNIP

Isn't that the problem? I bet that the majority of "collector" cars out
there belong to people who were gung ho about restoring the car but then
kinda lost interest.  Then the thing sits there for a year, two, five, ten,
rotting in the yard.  There is no "clear" distinction as the car transitions
from restorable classic to mulch.  This is especially true because I have
seen some people successfully tackle some extensive rust problems; Joe
Robbins and Kent Sullivan come to mind.  On the other hand, realistically
most cars that reach the point that Kent and Joe's cars did are never going
to be restored.

An interesting side effect could be that more cars get restored because
either owners get going on their projects or they sell the cars to someone
who will.

Norm Witte