<VV> Zoning issues from Sema

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Aug 28 14:46:58 EDT 2006

It may be true that the catalyst for such regulations are those junk
collectors with 10 or 20 cars in the back yard of a residential area,
but the resulting regulations too often result in draconian codes which
affect the responsible hobbiest.

As you say "if you are violating city, county, whatever code, you have a
problem"... that's the truth...the problem is keeping that code from
being enacted in the first place. And that's what SEMA does... or at
least tries to do.

Most car collectors support responsible codes/zoning, but the anti-car
crowd has other ideas...including not allowing cars to be parked on
grass (even in your backyard shielded from view) or doing minor
maintenance to your car in your own driveway... two rules in effect in
jurisdictions just south of me.... and often hold sway in local
regulations.

We must always be on guard for these sorts of intrusions into our
personal liberties, our property rights, and our hobby.

Bill