<VV> Brake pedal/switch problem

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Aug 28 16:13:31 EDT 2006

Folks
This one kind of has me stymied, would appreciate off or on list replies.

The Eastern Ultra Monza has a problem with brake pedal/light switch articulation. Here's what happens.

SOMETIMES, after parking the car, you get out and the brake lights are on. SOMETIMES, just a pull up on the pedal stops it, most times not.

Here's what's been done.
1/ Replace B/L switch (NAPA ECHLIN)
2/ Adjust B/L switch all the way out.
3/ Bent Bracket that holds switch towards pedal.
4/ Adjusted the rod on the master cylinder to max (still allowing 1/8" free play). Further out  might keep the M/C from holding pressure.

I've never had this problem with any of the 6 Corvairs I've owned.  I'm about ready to fashion my own Brake Pedal return Spring, though I realize this should be by no means necessary.

Any ideas?

Hank