<VV> Corvair Tire Pressure and Octane

Vukas, Robert robert.vukas at jostens.com
Wed Aug 30 13:57:40 EDT 2006

Karin,

I run my '64 Monza 110 on BP Amoco premium, as it has the highest octane
around. As far as tires go, the variation can range from 10 to 12 pounds
of difference from front to back. I run 23 to 25 in the front with 35 in
the back. I currently have Diamondback Classics with 1" whitewalls,
175/80/13 tires on my car. After having researched the subject of tires,
our early model 175/80/13, whitewalls, are only available as Cooper
Trendsetter SE, Kumho AS 795, Toyo 800 Ultra, Dayton Quadra SE or
Peerless President ll. I have all my tires siped for better wear,
traction and handling. Diamondback and Coker make radials for our cars
but cost 3 to four times the cost of the previously mentioned tires.
Check out www.sipers.com <http://www.sipers.com/>  for further
information. Consumer Reports rated the Coopers highest of this group.

Tires last at best, for highway use, 8 years on a collector car, 7 years
for a Recreational Vehicle, and 6 for an every day driver. The elements
due them in before you will wear them out. Coker Whitewall Cleaner and
Dressing can both be used on blackwall and whitewall tires. Do not use
Bleche White as it hastens the drying out of the tires. Always clean the
tires before treating them too.

Good luck and happy motoring.

Bob Vukas

Jostens