<VV> No Corvair, but car related - There is no "C" in "BBB"

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Thu Aug 31 08:24:42 EDT 2006

At 08:46 PM 8/30/2006, Jeff Clark wrote:
>The BBB is little more than paid protection for
>businesses.  As long as the business pays it dues, the
>BBB will go out of its way to "protect" the good name
>of the member business.  It's interesting to hear what
>they have to say about businesses that AREN'T a
>member: "Well, they aren't a member, so we can't say
>whether they're good or bad to deal with, but you
>should be EXTRA careful with a company that's not a
>member in good standing of our organization.  It makes
>you wonder why they aren't a member, doesn't it?,
>etc..."  They're very good at convincing the consumer
>that BBB members are to always be trusted, while
>planting a seed of doubt about that choose not to join
>them.  Bottom line: a consumer shouldn't waste their
>time with the BBB.
>
>Jeff Clark

Sorry, Jeff, but I strongly disagree.  I don't know what your experience
may be but as I discussed in a previous post, the BBB is quite active in
resolving disputes between customers and businesses.  Without their service
every conflict would be either unresolved or involve expensive litigation.

There is never any charge to the customer for the assistance of the
BBB.  All costs are supported by the business "dues".  The work I do for
them can be fairly costly, I charge more than most mechanics for my
services.  <grin>

I think they provide a valuable, and free, service to consumers and
membership by businesses does provide an intangible value to the business
as a result.

Ken