V<VV> Milled head tech tip (per CORSA Tech Guide)

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 12:08:47 EDT 2006

Somebody below mentioned my name. So I'd better comment.

First, the article referenced was specific in detail that one shouldn't  just
mill the gasket step, and step-cut the pistons and GO!   It told  the readers
to set the CR to a desired value first. That CR is critical. You  MUST relate
the CR to the fuel octane you desire to use.

Next, if you will take a look at the article, you will see a chart (Figure
2) on page 5. This chart clearly shows that for a quench gap of 0.035 in., a CR
 of about 9:1 will support REGULAR gas.   (PS, Corvair engines actually  had
lower CRs than advertised.)  Higher CRs need higher fuel octane. So if  you
were to make the modifications mentioned and wound up with a CR of, say,  10:1,
you are most likely going to need premium fuel.

Regards to all,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 8/31/2006 5:11:36 AM US Mountain Standard Time,