Fwd: <VV> Oil change-no vair/European change intervals

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 09:29:40 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/30/2006 9:43:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
4carbcorvair at gmail.com writes:

> >I understand that in Europe they commonly go more than 10K miles between
> >oil
> >changes and also commonly drive much faster than we do.  I haven't heard
> >that they have any premature wear problems.
> >RonH

Thomas where are you?  The Europeans may go 10k kilometers between changes
but that is 6.2K miles.  I don't know of any Euro or DIN change that requires
Europeans to measure distances in miles.

And just as our manuals have huge qualifiers on oil change intervals based on
"normal" service versus "severe" service (around town driving) the last VW
manual I saw recommended shorter change intervals for stop and go driving.  It
is true that vehicles with a large oil sump like the Boxster have longer
intervals than other cars, but oil life is based on use and abuse--and lots of short
trips, long idling and dusty conditions shorten the life of oil.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa