<VV> sedan finally running good....but

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Thu Aug 31 18:07:39 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Abel" <pbob63 at frontiernet.net>

> Thanks to all the suggestions on my bucking / backfiring 110pg Monza. I
. Only problem is I'm getting some decent pinging upon
> acceleration when she heats up. I'm not sure where to put the timing to
> help this. Ideas?
>
> Paul Abel.
> 65 Monza sedan 110pg.
******
Well, here is one anecdote::  on my 66 110 4sp ( 3.55 ) I had to set initial
timing to 8^ in order to run 10% ethanol with just a teensy spark tinking.
It runs ok up to about 4000, where it goes a little flat (g) ... but heck
there aren't any cars around I could outdrag anyway, and it gets good mid
20's mileage so I leave it there most of the time, and just enjoy the smiles
from pretty girls and chases with slow dogs.  The vacuum can is pretty much
stock, also the weights and springs.

If I lived nearer some 92 octane stuff I would definitely work back toward
the 14^ initial and probably make up in gas mileage for the few extra
pennies per gallon; at one time I ran water injection, and that allowed for
about any timing I wanted, but the Spearco ( POS ) fell apart and .... once
again, it was never exactly fast anyway ... so 8 degrees and fill up
anywhere, makes life uncomplicated.  BTW, it runs about 90 on top end, so I
can stay up on the superslab just fine.

Thinking about it, maybe it would be fun to rig up a reliable water injector
unit now that fuel is $3 a gallon ... back 10 years ago the washer fluid I
used cost more than the gasoline per gallon ....

Just some trivia,
ken campbell, iowuh vair guy