<VV> RE: rotators sodium cooled valves

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Thu Aug 31 22:30:13 EDT 2006

No.  I'm 99.48% certain that no production Corvair had sodium filled/cooled
valves.  According to GM SAE papers on the corvair engine, even the exhaust
valves on the turbos weren't sodium filled.  They were Nimonic 80A alloy
valve heads and Silchrome no. 1  stems.

Any sodium filled valves had to be after-market.  I do recall seeing sodium
filled available in at least one performance parts catalog.

Steve Marti

We installed rotators on every Corvair that came in
for a valve job
 Corvair had a lot of problems with valve burning in
the 61 thru 64. Chevrolet changed the valves to a
sodium cooled valve to cure the problem. I was doing
at least one a day, I did two in one day once.
Chuck