<VV> Valve rotators ETC

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Aug 31 22:52:40 EDT 2006

Smitty says:  This story came from one of the hundreds of tech sessions or guest speaker sessions I have been to over the years.  The gent who was speaking was commenting on the early Early Corvair valve problem.  Seems they were having more of them than they thought they should be.  They also were aware that in an industry where every quarter of a cent is counted, that they thought they were putting out the best exhaust valve they could for a buck.  Even the lowley Falcon had better valves than the Corvair.  So with the help of a little corporate spying they found their answer.  Ford was turning the little punch outs from the full wheel hub caps back to the foundry for the mix to make valves from.  GM was putting them in dumpsters to be sold for scrap.  So it didn't take them long about 62 to turn that around and start putting out better valves.  That may be why they felt they no longer needed rotators on the FC engines.
  Oh and BTW.  I don't think sodium filled valves were ever used in a Corvair engine except in the Turbos.