<VV> Ignition system

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Aug 31 23:25:50 EDT 2006

>OK you electrical gurus, what is the straight scoop on the resistor wire on
>a Corvair.  I always thought the voltage was dropped to keep the points from
>burning out.

Another candidate for a FAQ. The reason you have a resistor wire is because
the ignition system is designed to run on 6 volts and that is so that you
can have a hot spark on a cold morning with a battery that can barely turn
the engine. To do that there is a direct connection from the hot lead on
the starter to the coil. Put 12v to the coil all of the time and it will
melt the insulation eventually (burning the points is incidental and
usually from a bad condenser anyway).

With an electronic ignition, the module controls the power to the coil and
should keep from burning everything up even if you leave the key on with
the points closed and the engine stopped. PI was pretty good but the PII is
better. It allows you to use a really hot (.6 ohm) coil and wire directly
to 12v.

Padgett