<VV> Recalls

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Aug 31 23:39:15 EDT 2006

>Recall is a federally mandated action by the manufacturer to correct a
>manufacturing/materials defect in an automobile.  The complete recall
>action must be done without cost to the customer.

Well sorta. For Federal recalls (start on
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ ) this is true. There is also no
time limit on a Federal recall (got the e-brake replaced on my 1986 Fiero
in 1999 - stick cars only).

OTOH when the factory has a "recall" (in GMese a "Dealer Product Campaign"
but "recall" is shorter in the media) that is generally of limited duration
and applicability. It (the pink sheets in a TSB) may well advise the dealer
to check for other things that are not covered.

So "it depends".

Padgett