<VV> .040 KB Piston Needed <reintro, a little long>

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 16:45:31 EST 2006

Hi.  It's been a while since I was on this list, but I'm in need of a an odd
part to save my engine and a lot of work.

For the re-introduction, I have the following ...

65 black Corsa warm 140 4spd, with 84-87 Honda CRX seats, tweety winner at
NECC BeaveRun time trials - yes, I like road racing and autocrossing
65 red Monza-ized vert w/black top, 140 4spd 3.27, great highway car
61 white Lakewood, needs to be restored, currently in a million pieces
mostly as purchased
64 red w/white top 110 PG Coupe, decent red velour interior, rust measles
the side of your hand on the outside, glass packs, recent trade - runs,
rebuilding carbs right now

Signing back on because I need the lists collective experience.

I was in St. Augustine the other month with the 65 Corsa and dropped a valve
seat at the autocross.  The heads have been redone with new intake valves
and deep valve seats on both heads.

Trouble is, I have one KB piston .040 that's pretty damaged.  I _MIGHT_
could get some use out of it but it really needs to be replaced.  The valve
seat fell apart and the pieces fell into the bottom of the chamber where it
was then pounded into the head.

There was enough pressure to compress the top of the piston into the top
ring shattering it.  When it gave way, the bottom of the ring groove bent
down.  I don't really want to try and do anything with this paperweight.

Our West Coast vendor that sells these has exactly 1 left on the shelf, but
it's a .020 over <sigh>.  Another run is not currently planned.  Maybe in
the spring but he's not had enough interest to justify it as of yet.

My first choice would be to replace the piston.  I have little hope of
getting one of you guys to let go of one off your shelf, especially if it's
a set, but I'm still hoping.  New or used, but usable will do.

This is my #5 cylinder.  I know better than to mix a different piston at #5
w/o matching it in #6.

Is there a comparable piston out there I can match up to #6?

But how far off can you go if you replace both #5 and #6?  I don't think
it's a good idea to go far.  10 grams?  20 grams?  Are there comparable
pistons available where I can match #5 and #6 and the engine won't shake
apart at the crank ?

Or am I just out of luck and need to start over... AGAIN?

I hate to put this nice engine on the shelf until another run is made next
spring.

I hate to put another engine in the car for a short while, too.

So, anyone willing to part with one on the shelf?

if not... I've got 5 used KB pistons for sell... cheap.  :)

Barry Ellison
CORSA SC - 2006,2007 Member at Large
CORSA Member
SECC Member