<VV> Re: [FC] Seat dropping record

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Dec 13 12:04:25 EST 2006

At 07:46 PM 12/12/2006, Frank DuVal wrote:
>My 64 Spyder stayed on the road for several years with a valve seat
>comming loose and re-seating itself many times. Finally it didn't
>re-seat and it awaits repair time...
>
>Oh yes, run up a hill and coast down the other side would drop it
>right away. Learned to be illegal and hold the clutch down while decending...

I learnt this the hard way when on the final legs of the Asheville
convention.    Climbed that winding mountain road behind a truck that
went at just the right speed to make my 1st gear too buzzy so 2nd
gear got lugged all the way...  which was a mistake.    Hot.   Topped
the hill and was greeted by a LONG straight downhill, coasted the
whole way in 3rd gear while tapping the brakes.

Dumb.    Somehow rationalized that the engine could really benefit
from cooling seeing as how the temp gauge was right up there.    Not
even the unspoken mandate observed as sacrosanct from On High by
wartime pilots everywhere who ever flew an airplane with an air
cooled engine came to mind:

NEVER allow an air cooled engine that was already hot to "super-cool".

Dropped an intake seat just as I pulled into the lot of the host
motel...  cruckcruckcruck.  Spent two days locating a replacement
head and changing it out in the parking lot in an impromptu tech
session.     I was fortunate that I didn't pound a piston into rubble.

Live and learn.

tony..