<VV> RE: Roger and Corvair owners

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 18 23:00:42 EST 2006

Roger A,

The level of perceived rudeness on this forum is actually quite low compared
to most I've been on.  You should try the RX-7 list.  I use the word
"perceived" intentionally.  There are actually very few people on here who
come across as real jerks the majority of the time, so I have to assume that
the forum is populated by pretty much regular nice guys who sometimes come
across poorly.  That's not to say there aren't a few bad apples.  This is
not Lake Wobegon, all of our children are not above average.

What you see here is a more varied set of personalities than you are going
to find on the farming and tractor forums.  Being from the Great State of
Texas, I've met a lot of farmers and ranchers - my grandfather was one of
them.  For the most part, they're a very polite lot - probably because they
don't have to deal with too many franticly rushing city folks who drive in
heavy traffic every day.  Also probably because they come from a society
that survived on mutual support and help rather than on competition for
scarce resources like the urban population.   So, you've led a sheltered
internet existence. ;-)  Welcome to the "real" virtual world.  It ain't too
bad, just different.

My daughter is a graduate student in sociology at a major Pennsylvania state
supported university located dead center in the state. ;-)
One day her class was discussing the "Southern Culture of Violence".
Apparently there is more physical violence in the South (we can go outside
in the winter).  She was asked, "Since you're from the South, why do you
think that is?"  Her response was, "It's because you Yankees are so rude.
In the South we're raised to be polite.  When someone is rude to us, it's
grounds for fighting.  In the North, everybody is rude, so when somebody is
rude to you, you don't think anything of it."  As you can imagine, that
didn't go over too well with her Yankee classmates - hehe.  I love my
daughter, she's learned to be just like me. ;-)

The point of that is, the things that pissed you off (on list, I didn't see
the other stuff) was doubtless not intended to be rude, it just seemed that
way to you (an me a couple of times).  I doubt seriously that anything was
meant by it.  The folks involved are generally fine, helpful fellows.  I'd
suggest learning to say, "OoohhKaaay, whatever" and  blowing it off.  Put
the "offenders" on your "questionable characters" list and go on.  Also keep
in mind that a lot of the comments on VV are tongue-in-cheek.

Wow, That was preachy.
Next thing you know, they'll be accusing me of being my friend Pastor Bob -
and me just a lowly deacon.  ;-)

Cheers,
 The Other Roger (Gault)