<VV> 1964 Corvair value

justin chambers europorsche914 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 19:13:15 EST 2006

I have located a 1964 Corvair Monza Powerglide and would like to know if the sellers asking price ($3500) is fair. I am new to Corvairs but not to rear engined cars. Below are my questions followed by his responses sent through email.

  I would like to know the brief history of the car (when you acquired it, documentation, storage, etc.)?
     "Acquired approx. 08/21/04(per title issued 08/31/04.. Title is clear and car is in my barn.."

Is the car inspected and how often is it driven?
     "Have HISTORIC Mo plates so some time since inspected... Started once a month or every two along with short drive if wx is clear.."

Does the car have a clear title and is it in your possesion?
     "Clear/yes"

Is the car a "Monza" or a "500"?
     "Monza"

Is there any rust (battery area, floor pan, rockers, rear quarters panels, door jam, front trunk, around windshield, body etc.?
     "I've removed the carpet and painted with rust inhibiting paint but never replaced the carpet. Any rust(what there is-is only thru the paint, no soft spots or THRU metal at all.. There is one thru paint on windsheild or rear window.."

Any oil leaks?
     "What corvair doesn't at least drip.. ha. Yes it does about an inch in diameter between starts/runs.."

Any water leaks?
     "Might have had earlier as floor pan reflects it, but still isn't soft or thru metal..."

Has the engine been rebuilt if so how many miles since?
     "Have no idea, odo is 40350 something I think.."

Has the fuel pump been replaced?
     "??"

What condition are the heat exchangers in?
     "New tubing for heater..."

What condition is the engine compartment seal in?
     "Your talking about the pan viewed from the lid open-- it is great condition..."

What is the VIN #?
     "40927W176052"

What is the body tag?
     "ID plate reads something like this:

            12D
Style    64-0927      WR  35922    Body
                                   Paint  C
Trim  705                 932

ACC   W2MS3C"
  Is it a numbers matching car?
     "Believe all the paint is original exept for one fender.    bought from a Mo individual who said he got it out of a barn in OK. The top paint looks like it was covered with a canvas or something. No rust but worn spots. I can try to take some more detail photos if you'll direct me..I'm not a restoring individual..."

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/europorsche914/IM000168.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/europorsche914/IM000167.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/europorsche914/IM000166.jpg
  What do you guys think?