<VV> Milling Piston Faces

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Dec 29 16:33:48 EST 2006

"...have run the motor before this way. It did pretty well, did not ping
that much, but still more then I liked..."

Geoffrey:
I'm late to this conversation; have you reduced the cylinder head quench
area? Stock is somewhere around 60-70K, and this makes the 110 especially prone
to detonation. I've two 110 Vairs: a Greenbrier and a 67 Coupe...both are
powerglide and both have A/C. Before I reduced the combustion chamber quench to
.032, both knocked like hell (even with Safeguards, the best gas I could find,
 and retarded spark to where performance hurt). With .032 quench space, even
in  hot Florida weather with A/C full blast, hardly a peep from the knock
department (and that's running 14-degrees advance with the van and 18-degrees
with the coupe). Compression ratio on both is stock @ 9.5:1. With the coupe on a
 trip, recently achieved 23 mpg averaging 75 MPH (has a 3:27 rear, which
would  make it even more prone to knock!).

The key to making a 110 run effectively on today's gas is to modernize the
combustion chamber... not lower the compression ratio. Just adding gaskets, or
milling off the tops of the pistons, can actually increases the quench area
and  (unless the compression is lowed way down) can INCREASE the likelihood
the engine will knock.

Mike Mauro