<VV> Milling Piston Faces

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Fri Dec 29 17:17:13 EST 2006

Mike,
Thanks for the info.   I have followed your posts on your engines in the
past and taken notes.   I have already milled these to set the quench at
.032.   I want to mill the faces of the pistons  just opposite the valve
area.   These are
140 heads.
I ran this engine in our corsa for a while, with the heads milled.  Hardly
pinged on 91.   It got
HOT though.   Fins deflashed, all the fun stuff except an external oil
cooler.   I think that is why the piston siezed.   They were forged true
.040's with total seal rings.   Did not sieze so much as number 6 galled
into the walls.   Lost power at around 80, stumbled, and regained, but
started blowing smoke and had a distinct sound.

Have also run a 110 in a GB with milled heads for a while as well.   Ran
great on 87.

The temporary  engine I am assembling right now will use an early
crank with milled 64 110's
to get
a tight .032 squish, and keep a decent overall CR of around 9:1.   Should
run
on the cheapest gas out there.

-Geoff