Fw: <VV> Oil Pan questions...

Bob Lindsey rlindsey at pa.net
Wed Feb 1 09:07:01 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Lindsey" <rlindsey at pa.net>
To: "Ryan Verthein" <daretocorvair at yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: <VV> Oil Pan questions...

Ryan,

This from a prior VV posting:

 Oil Pan Gasket Replacement
 Prepare the pan by repairing deformities around the bolt holes using a 7/8"
steel bar.
Any suggestions on where I can find one or something similar?

In a pinch use a piece of 1X4 and a nice flat section of concrete.

 Use the cork gasket and only put the sealant on the pan side. Let it cure
before
installing the pan and torque to the correct spec.

Hint:  Get rid of the stock bolts and washers and get some flange head
bolts.
These are sometimes referred to as tensile-lock bolts. They need no  flat
washers
or lock washers and have serrations built into them to keep them from
loosening.

Bob Lindsey