<VV> Rear Glass Explosion

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Mon Feb 6 06:53:23 EST 2006

Any thoughts as to why this occurred?

Just so you don't feel any worse, tempered glass can be VERY touchy
stuff.....45 year old tempered glass can be ever so much worse, particularly
when you are playing around it's most vulnerable part....the edges!  Yes,
you might have inadvertantly nicked it, also you might have simply altered a
long-standing stress pattern by removing the trim.....either way, I've seen
these kinds of things happen in many cars....some a lot newer than a 'Vair
(like a 4 week-old pre-production Nissan 280ZX Turbo (sn 0000000000003)!

Also, how do I remove it
> & clean it up?  Should I apply a liberal amount of duct tape before
> trying to remove?

You could.....but going to the hardware store/home center and buying a roll
of Contact Paper is cheaper, easier, and more effective!  BTW, don't be
surprized if the back light falls completely apart before you get this done!
Tempered glass continues to "self-destruct" long after the initial fracture
occurs......they "snap, crackle, and pop" for hours afterward!

John