<VV> Dual Points

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 18:18:37 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/13/2006 1:48:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

Ala the  Mallory special-perf dual-point/dual-coil...?   Got one of
them  too, for a 383 Mopar, not sure what I'll ever do with it.   I'd
run it on Ebay if I thought anybody would buy it.   Interesting
sucker, 4-lobe cam with gentle slopes, lots of dwell time, probably
turn 7500 rpm and not float a point set.     I understand  Mallory
made one of these dual-coil/dual-point setups for a Corvair engine  at
one time.   Not seen one but I'd like  to.

tony..

With the early Mallory Dual Point, both sets of points fired one coil, they
just alternated. The three lobe cam was strange. Setting the dwell was  always
a series of compromises. Changing the point gap on one set changed  the
firing point - relative to the other set of points. You had to check the  timing on
cylinder #1 then again on cylinder #2. It was easy to have one side  set at
12 degrees BTC the other side at 16 degrees BTC. The was a piece of  hardware
begging for a distributor machine, usually called a Sun machine, mine  was an
Allen brand. - Seth