<VV> Monza speedo in a Corsa dash

jryall at juno.com jryall at juno.com
Sat Feb 25 09:01:00 EST 2006

You can repair the Corsa speedo.  The Monza speedo in a Corsa dash will
read incorrectly because of the placement of the numbers on the dash.  I
think  the springs are different.

The die cast frame in the speedometer is the same for the Monza and
Corsa.  The Corsa speedo typically wears the small plastic gear that
drives the odometer numbers.  Remember that it is driving both the
regular and the trip odometers.  The small gear can be removed from the
Monza speedo by drilling out the staked-in shaft on which the gear is
mounted.  Drill just deep enough to remove the head, then drive it out
with a small pin.  You need to save at least one of these shafts. Remove
the trip odometer from the Corsa unit and repeat the operation to remove
the shaft and gear.  Now press in the shaft and gear from the Monza
speedo.  Use locktite to fasten the shaft into the diecast housing, or
support the gear end of the shaft and use a centerpunch to make a dimple
in the end of the shaft, expanding it to lock it in the hole.  While the
speedo is apart, you can clean up the number wheels on the odometers and
replace any damaged ones.  If you are fitting the Corsa speedo from
another car, you can set the odometer to the correct mileage for your
car.

John Ryall