<VV> wheel restoration--might work on a Corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 17:55:25 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/10/2006 11:16:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair at fnader.com writes:

Following the guidance from an old  UK restorer, I bolted the  wheel to
the jacked up Mini, started the car, and put in first gear at  idle.
(WARNING: THIS IS POTENTIALLY VERY UNSAFE AND I AM NOT RECOMMENDING  THAT
ANYONE TRY IT.)

I polished the outers of a set of gruesome aluminum alloys with this method
on a 1955 Chevy about 40 years ago. I did use jack stands. Since it was an
open rear axle, no posi, the open axle acted as a slipping brake. If I pressed
too hard, it just spun the other side faster. After I was done, my father said
I  was an idiot. Glad he waited. I don't recommend it either <grin> but I'm
older now - probably about the same age he ways. Hmmm? -  Seth