Fw: <VV> Library link motion....

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Tue Jan 17 17:48:58 EST 2006

Rick, Merv:

>>> Check out Steve Serenska's cool little site.
>>> http://www.serenska.com/IdealGarage/html/the_ideal_library.cfm
>>>
>>> He has a number of Corvair publications listed with a general
>>> overview and user ratings.

Cool?  Yes.

Little?  Hmmm.

Of all the spots on the Ideal Garage, I enjoyed putting together the
Ideal Library the most but the usage logs show me that it's among the
least-visited areas of the website.  I'm never sure why some things
catch people's attention and others do not.

I haven't worked on the website for quite awhile.  If any Corvair books
have been published that I'm missing, please let me know.  I know about
Bob Helt's newest book, but if there are others, send me an email offline.

I haven't been following this thread all that closely (e.g., I missed
the above), but I thought I saw something to the effect that someone
suggested starting a repository of Corvair-related article from
magazines, tech manuals, etc. that are no longer in print.  I thought
that was a great idea and would be willing to build a website around the
concept.

The only problem in putting together such a website would be gathering
and scanning the material -- i.e., it would take a few days short of
forever.  However, if people who have access to the original articles
also have access to scanners, we could tap into the "many hands make
light work" principle and break it down to a manageable task.

I think the key would be to start by asking for help from guys like Bob
Helt and/or Joe Darinsig who put together a few volumes of a reference
manual several years back.  I don't know Joe, but I also believe he
publishes an annual index in the Communique in which he lists Corvair
items in print.

Anyway, the idea would be to start with a master roster of printed
materials, put it up on the web, ask people to sign up and scan the
originals.  This would allow us to begin the process of accumlulating
the articles without asking any one person to stand in front of a
scanner to do it all.  If people thought it was a good idea, I'd start
it off by building a web facility.  The website would allow people to:

 1) Review the master list of Corvair articles,

 2) Sign up to provide scanned content (i.e., if they had the particular
magazine, newsletter, etc. in their collection),

 3) Upload their scanned images, and

 4) Make those available for everyone else to see.

Anyone who's read my questions/posts in the past knows I'm not Mr.
Goodwrench, so I like finding these opportunities where I can give back
to all the members on this list who have helped me out so many times.

Steven "waiting for the salt to wash off the roads" Serenska
http://www.serenska.com/IdealGarage
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4