<VV> Wiper problem

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Wed Jan 25 14:59:26 EST 2006

Hi Jim,
You can test/verify this by using a multimeter with one test lead well grounded and measure the voltage at body of the switch when operating the switch.  If it is grounded (zero volts) and you have proper operation, that is what you want.  If the switch is not grounded (other than zero volts) and things don't work right, that is very likely your problem.  Since the switch works in some conditions, that verifies you have voltage to the circuit.  My bet is that when you press the button, you are providing enough physical force to make the ground make electrical contact.

You can also test the ground when there is NO power to that circuit, by using the ohmmeter mode.  Measure the ohms from the switch body to the dash ground and it should be near zero ohms, or less than about 10 ohms.  NEVER use an ohmmeter on a powered circuit or you risk damaging the meter or blowing out it's internal fuse, assuming it has one.

Or just tighten the switch with the star washer intact as Everett suggests and forget all this troubleshooting nonsense!

HTH,
-- Larry