<VV> LM 4 speed reverse problem solution(s)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 20:09:44 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/3/2006 3:07:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net writes:

The solution was to take an appropriate washer and cut it  in half. The
halves were then brazed to the outside of the rod to prevent the  pin  from
rotating in the slot resulting in a maximum rotated  angle.

Yes, the rubber tries to burn, but  quick brazing minimizes the problem. The
rod could be returned to the original  condition by grinding off the two half
washer, as the pin going through is not  brazed to the outside, just the
washers to hold it fully  rotated.

Shifting is now no problem and with  the engine off there is a satisfying
"click" when reverse is  selected.

If I had time, I might have built a  collar that would restrict the amount of
slippage the pin allows.

Or you could be sloppy and just MIG-weld both sides closed to the pin - now
THAT will cause some smoke! Mosquito lovers will picket! Anyway - I have done
the "weld-job" several times before. But the last time I just picked up one
of  Ray Sedman's nice aluminum billet replacements. No slop and self aligning.
Between that and a tightly shimmed 3-speed shifter, the Corvair shifts better
 than my 6-sp Corvette.  (But not quite as nicely as my 5-speed Camaro). It
is good to have benchmarks!   - Seth  Emerson