<VV> Corvair trailering

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 13 01:11:22 EDT 2006

Hello everyone, Yesterday and today I undertook my annual inspection
and repair of Darth Vair's ride to Mosport and Buffalo. I first went
to the local coin car wash and washed the trailer down thoroughly
with the engine degreaser option and scrubbed from stem to stern with
a red scotch brite pad to remove all grease oxidized paint etc. from
the fenders and bed of the trailer. Then I power rinsed
everything and let the trailer bake in our 90%+ Georgia sunshine.
This was followed by a trip to the local ACE hardware where their
"Now and Later" spray paint was on sale at 2 for $3. This trailer is
outside at Ted Fahrenthold's shop or my driveway 365 days a year and
it needed a paint renewal. 12 cans of gloss black and presto we are
spruced up and ready for the road.
      Today I pulled all four wheels and the spare and reinspected
the tires for nails screws etc., general condition of the tires, all
5 valve stems were replaced last year and all checked out okay. Next
the brake drums were pulled and each assembly sprayed and cleaned
with aerosol brake cleaner, linings inspected, wheel bearings
inspected and greased, drums cleaned and all reassembled. I had a
first for  me. On the front tandem axle which is about a year old,
(the previous front axle assembly was stolen off the parked and
secured trailer, another story) I found two rather discouraging and
totally unexpected safety issues. The first issue was the "new" brake
drums had no rim build-up at their inner lip where they meet the
backing plate. This allowed water to enter the inside of the brake
drums on both sides of the trailer while sitting in the parking lot
at Teds shop. Simple driving rain was the obvious culprit and the
condition was more serious on the side of the trailer that did not
have another vehicle parked close to buffer the driving rain. The end
results were considerably more rust on the drum lining and a frozen
star adjuster on one side. All these trailer axles now have many
Chinese components and I have little doubt that most if not all of
the brake and drum assembly were manufactured in China. I had to
scrub both brake drums with a scotch brite pad to remove the interior
rust. I had to completely remove the rusted star adjuster, spray it
liberally with PB Blaster, and secure it in my bench vice to work it
loose. Now of course this was the fourth wheel that caused this
problem. With the bench vice and vice grips I was able to finally
free the adjuster threads and reassemble the brakes on that wheel.
The four year old rear axle which DID have the normal inner rim
build-up (looks just like our Corvair drums) showed little or no
symptoms of the problem. Now one of the points in this long post is
you may want to check your new(er) trailer brakes and see if you have
the drums that cause this type of problem. The second point is you
need to adust your trailer brakes once a year or at least every
3-4000 miles since they are not self adjusting brakes. These Chinese
star adjusters appear to have a very high ferrous content and rusted
very easily and quickly. They are nowhere near the quality of our
Corvair adjusters and I would use Corvair adjusters if they would fit
but they are too short in length.
If you are towing, it's time to inspect, repair or replace as needed
so you have a safe trailer to haul your Corvair to the races and/or
the Convention. My trip to Cedar Rapids last year was over 2000 miles
in tow and this year I suspect it will be at least 2500 miles
and lots of  mountains and hills where I sure want a safe trailer
beneath Darth Vair.

Chuck Armer

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman