<VV> FC hill performance

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Jul 13 11:59:24 EDT 2006

As with any Greenbrier, the questions are:

  - How full is it?
  - How big a hurry are you in?

You are correct that your combo will do better on grades, third gear is
very useful.  There may be stretches where he will need to run in low
if the van is well loaded, the *very* big no-no is to run it hard at 40
in high.  If it will do 70 on the flat then it should be ok.

For reference, we have a similar combo, Red's a GB with a '66 110 and
PG.  I got her pretty hot on a very long (over a mile) grade on the way
to Chicago, I had to pull over to idle for about twenty minutes.  She
was loaded down with the whole family (me, Ellie, and our 3 boys) plus
enough gear for a two week trip - the cargo area was full to the
ceiling, plus the area under the seats was full.  Ours is a deluxe with
three seats, so it's the heaviest factory combo (except maybe a
camper).  We came back via Charleston, West Virginia without issue.
You can read the whole story if you like:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/chicago01.html

BTW, I've updated a few pages lately for those of you who are
interested, look for the red dots on the index page that signify the
page has been revised.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa