<VV> Ultra clutch setup

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Jul 20 18:12:31 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I'm putting a basement fresh engine in the parts Corsa, and am digging
through my stash for an "Ultra" clutch.  I have a fairly new friction
disk, a bolted used flywheel, and a decent looking pressure plate.  A
few questions:

  - The recent article in the Communique mentions factory alignment
marks.  Should I look for these, or does it not matter since the parts
weren't a set from the factory?  Any thoughts on matching the two for
best balance?

  - Both the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces look ok but used.
Should I do any surface prep besides cleaning with Brake Cleaner before
assembly - say wire brush or ScotchBrite pad or such?

  - I am replacing the pilot bushing and input shaft seal with new.  Is
it ok to spread the split ring a bit to get a tight fit in the diff
snout?

Thanks for any input.  My oldest (age 15) is cleaning the shrouds and
gets to pick the colors, so it may be a colorful engine compartment :-)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa