Fwd: <VV> Loose fuel lines?

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 16:43:31 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/1/2006 3:36:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
markii56 at yahoo.com writes:

> At least once or twice a year, I have to tighten the
> large nut on the fuel filters, right where the fuel
> line attaches.  Do these things just get "loose" over
> time?

Jeff,  In my experience (and when the cars were new) this hasn't been
(wasn't) an issue.   To avoid this problem on my cars I make sure the gas line isn't
under any twisting tension when I tighten the big nut (hand tighten the small
nut so the gas line will still move easily, tighten the big nut, then HOLDING
THE BIG NUT with your big wrench tighten the small nut while you watch the gas
line).  If the gas line wants to twist get someone to hold it level for you.
If you are by yourself you can align the two wrenches so you can squeeze them
together with one hand while you hold the gas line with your other hand.

The point I'm making is that you want to tighten the gas line nut AGAINST the
filter nut to make a good connection at that point.  If you just tighten the
small nut without holding the filter nut you can twist the filter nut tighter
without getting the gas line connection tight enough at the filter nut flair
fitting.

Hope this keeps you "fumeless."

Bob Hall
Group Corvair