<VV> Re: Roadside assistance needed in Georgia!

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 21:27:12 EDT 2006

My daughter's Spyder is "fixed" now! This is the one that was stranded on I-95 between Savannah and Brunswick, GA.
  Joel Rushworth sent me a couple of names from his CORSA roster. One of the names was Chuck Hanning. Even though he was in the middle of Memorial Day family activities, Chuck took the time to help.  After his cookout, he went to check out the car, including removing the fuel pump, checking it out, reinstalling and adjusting it, checking for fuel flow, etc. Next day he got the car hauled to his place and was ready to install a new pump. Since the fuel gage was near empty, he tried adding gas to the tank, just in case (even though Leigh had made it clear to me that it had plenty of fuel).
  Conclusion:

IT WAS JUST OUT OF GAS!! The funny thing is that the symptoms (and cause) were exactly the same as the day I ran out of gas on the way to work in the car. That time I checked the spark, then the fuel, and figured out quickly that it was out of gas, and had it going again in about 15 minutes. This time, since my daughter was so sure it had plenty of gas, I didn't even consider that till late in the game when Chuck suggested it.  The moral (and golden rule for diagnosing and fixing cars) is ALWAYS TRY THE SIMPLE STUFF FIRST!
  Besides Chuck I had offers of help from folks all the way from Tampa, FL to Hilton Head, SC.  Besides Chuck and his friend Jerry Hodge, Doug Gilman, Rex Chivers, and Jeff Kent offered assistance (and Larry Forman offered diagnostic advice).
  Now we just need to get Leigh (near Ocala, FL) and her car (in Savannah, GA) reunited.
  Another great example of Corvair folks pitching in to help each other!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on