<VV> State says NO to F NADER license plate

Charles Lee at Prop Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sat Jun 3 14:54:09 EDT 2006

Can he  switch it for "S NADER" ?

State says NO to F NADER license plate

For the past five years John Miller's 1966 Chevrolet Corvair has had
personalized license plates with the letters "F NADER." The message has been
an inside joke among classic car enthusiasts.

But Iowa Department of Transportation officials don't share Miller's humor.
They have asked him to remove the plates and to surrender them to the Boone
County treasurer's office.

Andrew Lewis, assistant director of the DOT's Office of Vehicle Services in
Des Moines, said Miller's original application for the personalized plates
never should have been approved five years ago.

"We have a huge naughty word list that we continue to increase as the days
go by. But if it is not on the naughty list and someone gives it a different
meaning, it can get through if we don't pick up on it," Lewis said.

Miller received the DOT's request last week, and he was given 10 days to
turn in the offending plates to the county treasurer's office. State
officials have offered him a choice of getting a new personalized plate at
no cost with a less offensive message, or accepting a $50 refund and
installing a regular Iowa license plate on his car.

Miller was also advised he could lodge an appeal before an administrative
law judge. He said Thursday he was still weighing his options, and he hadn't
decided how he will respond.

"I kind of like this plate and want to keep it, but I am not going to make a
federal case out of it," Miller said. "I more than likely won't win in this
situation, but it is just kind of stupid."