<VV> Re: No Capacitor

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 15:31:21 EDT 2006

An electrical engineer friend once explained to me that the coil (inductive load) and condensor/capacitor (capacitive load) combine to form an RC circuit.  The result is to boost ~ 12 V to ~ 250 V on the low voltage/primary side of the coil shotrly after the points open. No cap means the coil only would see about 12 Volts, which would mean real low zap to teh plug.  Proof (Touching the little wire terminals of a runing engine with points ignition ) is left to non-believers and terminally curious..

http://www.picotech.com/auto/tutorials/images/fig1-2.png

http://www.picotech.com/auto/tutorials/ignition-primary.html

--
Dan Timberlake