<VV> valve noise / performance

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Sat Jun 3 19:12:59 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/3/2006 3:43:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pwilhelm2 at cogeco.ca writes:

>   The noise is gone,but the performance is less. I retarded the timing to
> 12 degrees. This solved the noise,but the car would stall out at idle,so then
> increased the idle speed. Better but still sluggish,so "fiddled" with
> mixture. Some improvement. Then tried various point gaps. Ran best at .0012. Still
> not where it was. Any ideas?
>   Thanks.    Rookie Corvair Owner    Pete

You've done all the right things!   Timing affects performance greatly!

The "trick"  to these engines, built / designed in the 60's,  with different
fuels....is getting the overall timing set for todays fuels...

Even in the 60's you can see there were over a dozen different distributors [
different weights and springs inside]  for the different Vair engines...

Many do this by switching to a different PN  dist.   Others  find a
distributor machine and experiment......finding what gives the most "pep"  without
pinging.

When you said 0.012"  works best......  The  key is the DWELL   and I usually
find 0.013-0.015"  gives the 32 degress desired...

You always set this 1st..then timing  WITH VA  hose disconnected!     Then
the carbs [ if needed].    BUT  you are only setting the "initial"
timing......to get rid of the pinging [ valve noise].  This is why the dist. needs to be
changed internally.

Another part of the dist.  is the VA   and most likley is 40 yrs.
old......It's got a spring inside...most likely has weakened!!!

Try setting the timing back UP  to original....but drive with VA hose OFF [
and plugged]   If the engine is quiet..let us know and we can show you how to
fix it!  gg

Matt Nall
stocker, mod, v8, turbo, boat, Sandcar
ALLVAIR!