<VV> Cleaning Bearings

Nick Elzinga starship at worldonline.co.za
Sun Jun 4 03:37:40 EDT 2006

I maintain that the best medium for cleaning bearings is kerosene.  Having
said that I've used gasoline / petrol and I've used engine degreaser and a
blast of water.  I may even have used diesel once in the absence of anything
else.  I like kerosene for cleaning bearings, as it has lubricating
properties (being a thin oil) and it prevents the balls / rollers / needles
getting stuck in the race and it doesn't evaporate before the job is done.
I've never suffered any ill effects using kerosene for the task.

On another list I got shot down in flames for suggesting kerosene, the
argument being that this is also used as a cutting agent and that it is also
difficult to remove.  I don't understand the association with cutting
agents.  Water is a cutting agent too and that was something the other guy
suggested if degreaser and water washing could be tolerated. He also
suggested then cleaning in gas and drying with compressed air which is all
very well if you have a compressor.  One isn't cutting anything when
cleaning a bearing and paper towel will remove all but the thinnest film of
kerosene.

So, I'm looking for some input on the matter.  How do you clean bearings?

Nick