<VV> Cleaning Bearings

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Jun 4 04:30:30 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Elzinga" <starship at worldonline.co.za>

> I maintain that the best medium for cleaning bearings is kerosene.  > So,
I'm looking for some input on the matter.  How do you clean bearings?

> Nick
***********
Kerosene is probably pretty good overall.   my favorite glunk is model car
fuel ( methanol and nitromethane mix plus some synthetic castor oil or
turbine oil ) ... this is a great solvent for waxes and varnishes and old
grease... in the bearings.... I soak them in a pan for a while, then brush
the bearing and gently blow it "dry" which leaves a slight oil film.
WD-40 is a good cleaning medium also, but only in that is usually handy; a
fair solvent and a very poor lubricator.  Don't even spin the bearings with
an air gun unless you dip the bearing into some real oil, or ATF if you like
pretty stuff.
********
AND beware of spinning bearings with an air gun... there is a tendency to
have some fun and see how fast they will go, with no grease and a light oil
they have been known to hit 100,000 rpm or so from air pressure, and blow up
and put some of the balls thru your eyes.... NO JOKE.
Also, air spinning bearings wet with gasoline, or straight alcohol, and
possibly even kerosene and yes WD-40 ( ... maybe ... ) will vaporize that
highly flammable material very nicely ....   did you know gasoline is 14
times as explosive as gunpowder ????
*********
There used to be available man's best friend, 1-1-1 Trichlorethylene, which
is mostly non-flamable, cheap, and we bot it by the barrel to clean
everything in ... thanks to people like that F N Nader guy, it is now
illegal ...  apparently a Penguin drank a couple gallons and died from it
....  so now humans are using alky, gasoline, and other deadly-to-humans
substances to do what needs to be done ....
********
Hope this helps .. again, don't carburete gasoline into a vapor ... the
flash fire can burn you deeply before you know what happened.. had friends
do this ... its sad ...

regards ken campbell deltawerkes